Sunday, November 19, 2006

"Letters from a Skeptic"

My good friend Chad gave me a book by a guy named Greg Boyd. I don't know much about Mr. Boyd except he is an "open theist". This kind of means that he believes God is limited in what he knows about the future. He's limited because of how he set up his creation. Mr. Boyd is what the Church would call a heretic. Which really just means that he goes against the teaching of the Church. I actually think of myself fondly as a heretic. Maybe all you folks can start calling me the "King of the Heretics". Maybe you don't think you have areason to call me such an ugly name... I told my friend Keith tonight that I thought Paul was a homosexual. This should get any evangelical Christian pumped up especially since I have no facts or even reason to speculate. I simply do it because I knwo it will irritate people and I like to do that. I think this is funny mostly because evangelical Christian's love Paul and (in my humble opinion) hate homosexuals or at least treat them as second class citizens. Enough of the inflammatory rhetoric though.

My point about this book... Boyd is a professor of Apologetics and the book was written in 1994. I skimmed the book but got a pretty good synopsis of it. My question is this: "What the hell are we supposed to be doing?" This is pretty important to me. Much of my "Christian" life was devoted to making converts to Christianity so that the goats don't go to hell. In the past 3 or so years I have rejected much of what I believed or at least much of what I care about that I believe. Are we supposed to try to change people's minds about God (this is what i used to do) or do something else? Is that we we are supposed to do?

Th obvious other option is a social/works based gospel or some kind of combo. My ultimate question and point in writing this blog is getting my thoughts on paper to try to figure out what I think. What place does apologetics have in my life. Have I bought into a social gospel so much that I may shy away from sharing any kind of apologetic with people I know? Am I more interested in right action or right thinking? What is God more concerend with? I am not even going to get into scripture because I don't think I can be objective. I guess what it boils down to is (I thik I was the first onw to ever ask this question. If somebody has already thoguht of it, don't tell me because I want to live life thinking I really contributed to the progress of man) "What is the Gospel?" What is the "good news"?

If I can't answer this, then how should I think about evangelism? If the good news is changing someone's mind, then what is the best way to do that? Obviously, brain-washing! We should be having brainwashing conventions to change how people think. That doesn't sound like America (or does it?). The only worse thing than being an atheist is being a communist, right (or being gay as we talked about before. We have chosen some pretty arbitrary things to despise in my opinion).

Obviously, I am not an advocate of a mind changing gospel (though I think there may be a place in the Church for mind altering subsatnces). But, do I believe there is anything worth fighting for in terma of the doctrine? What are the things that I care about enough to try to change somebody elses mind? I can't say nothing because I love to tell Chrisitan's that they are wrong on so many issues. Do I think a person needs to believe in the virgin birth in order to be saved? What about the resurection? What about the Bible? Although I definately have my opinions, rarely do I give them. I just don't see the point.

So here is my final paragraph which is supposed to persuade you to think how I do. I think God wants us to do what is right- which isn't news to any of us who suffered through Sunday School. God cares more that we do what is right than that we think right. If I show people how to love others and how to serve others and how to prophecy for what is right in this world, I am carrying out the gospel. If this is true, then can Muslims carry out the gospel? Can Budhists? Can communists? Can Homosexuals? Can I? If these people can live the gospel, then will they experience salvation? I hope so or I'm screwed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christian,
I am going to ponder this post further and I'll try to post more of a reflection later. But fore now here's a quote:

"I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy." G. K. Chesterton - Orthodoxy

White Rabbit said...

Hey, i know Boyd well enough to say that he would take issue with the whole idea of God being limited in his knowledge. Instead, he would say that God's knowledge is so much more comprehensive than most Christians have allowed. He knows every possibility of all that could ever happen, and every response he would make to bring about his ultimate purpose, no matter what direction humans choose to go.

In other news: i've been reading through the gospel of Matthew to try to answer the question you brought up. Well, close to it anyway "i'm asking, "What does Jesus want".

There definately is a huge theme of social justice. He wants us to genuinly care for people, and meet the needs of those in need. It seems that "the kingdom of heaven is near" means that healing, restoration, love, mercy, and equality are near.

Of course we need to also include the teachings of the other three gospels and all the new testament writings (even Paul). i'm only on Matthew ch. 26 right now. i'll keep you updated on what i find.

But take a look at Matthew 25, and ask yourself what the criteria was for the separating of the sheep and goats. Then ask yourself what the criteria wasn't.

journey of the discontent said...

Wayne- I heard Chesterton like to drink beer. I like him. I wonder if I would like his writings. I certainly like the quote.

Keith- You're right. I didn't give a very good synopsis of Boyd's view of God's foreknowledge. I probably don't really know his stance. Here is a more important question: If I got into a fight with Boyd, who would win? If we played basketball? I thought so.

Keep me updated on your Mathew exploration. I have wanted to get back into readin the scriptures for a different reason than for research, but I sort of like to just reinforce my already formed ideas instead of looking objectively. As a good Baptist boy, maybe you can pray for me or rebuke me or whatever you folks do. About social justice, for further study there is a tv show on justice in the afternoon called "Texas Justice". Check it out. Very intellectual. I think we should put more people from texas in charge of important things.

White Rabbit said...

Boyd is buff, he might be able to take you.

i've moved into Mark now. i'm only on chapter eight, but there is much more emphasis on sin and the forgiveness of sin. i'm still trying to define what sin is, though chapter 7 gives a synopsis.

Jodi said...

I love your conclusion...all the way through I was thinking, "What the heck, Christian? What are you trying to do hear?" But then you clarify and it's beautiful and it's exactly what I recall many a conversation surrounding coffee or beer being about. I hope to read more about your specific thoughts on God's heart in the future. I think you have a lot in there to share...more than just the deconstruction questions.
I'd like to hear about some specific quotes from this Boyd character. I'm sure there's some good stuff to write about specifically.
I love you sweety.

La said...

hey christian, i quoted boyd in that big ol' post on keith's blog...the one where william whatever his name is was pissing us all off...he talks about how christ didn't TALK that much to people who weren't already christians...he didn't ever try to change people during his time in ministry....he met people's needs, he made wine when they ran out, he fed people and healed people and hang out with the rejected crowd, without ever trying to change them. Boyd talks about how the rulers of that day were offering orgies with their wives to whomever would support their building projects at that time, and Jesus never says anything about that....he doesn't try to change the sinners, he loves them, and he saves his words for the people who already believe in him....the people who were already converted because of his actions....

by the way, we should hang out sometime, (i mean, you, me, keith and your wife)....keith says your wife likes the indigo girls, so i think that i would like her....i haven't found very many people that like the indigo girls who i don't like....but then....i haven't found very many people that i don't like regardless of their music interests.

Karla