Thursday, August 16, 2007

I Am Re-Learning to Read Good

I started reading again. I haven't read in a long time. I'm not totally sure why. Sometimes when I read, I feel crazy. When I read really good books that inspire me to do things I think are noble and right, I feel crazy. It makes me want to abandon everything i have planned and follow my youthful idealism.

So... I'm readin the Irrisistable Revolution by Shaine Claiborne. It is very good. I feel very crazy. And I want to abandon my plans. Sort of. I still plan on attending seminary next fall, but I think what I plan to do after that is changing again. I think I like living in the city. I like living in the rough part of the city. I like to dream with Jodi about how we can love people and help them. I like to bring salsa andsalmon and hot peppers over to them and see their faces.

We have made some other life-style choices that will help us on our quest to become more active in social justice issues in our community. I'll write more about it next week after we see if we can do it.

"How can they learn to read if they can't even fit in the building?"

2 comments:

Jodi said...

I go through this love/hate relationship with "the city" it seems like every other year or so. Depends on who is living by us I guess...(I hate admitting that) Or maybe it's our attitude toward our neighbors? Hmm? I told you the other night how excited I was to hear you say you may want more "urban" ministry-type settings in our post-seminary existence because of the thoughts and feelings I've been having lately about the "West Siiiiiiiiiiiide!" Anyhoo, I felt a little scarred but mostly really good about what we're teaching our girls about community and love and distribution of food/wealth, etc. You know, by having this garden, duplex with affordable rent, meeting our neighbors, etc.
I'm excited about the water usage changes we're making and that we're walking and using more public transportation and that we've gone down to one vehicle. Sucks sometimes but is good for the community that we do these things.
I love you.
P.S. That's my favorite scene from Zoolander.

Unknown said...

stop saying "crazy"