Thursday, September 27, 2007

Jesus loves the little children- but Bush doesn't?


Well, maybe the title isn't fair. But isn't that what it looks like? Bush says he will veto a bill expanding the State Children's Helaht Insurance Prgram (SCHIP). The program would offer insurance to more children who are not necessarily under the poverty line but who cannot afford insurance.
The proposal will cost 35 billion over the next 5 years. Bush supporters will say that he should wait till SCHIP is more efficient and streamlined. They will say that they want the plan to be more refined so it doesn't allow for abuse. "We want good intel." "We don't want to waste money on something we aren't sure will work out."
I am not a wild spender (well with my own money I may be). In some ways, I am conservative on how I think the gov't should send our tax dollars. But isn't it ironic that Bush is deciding to be "responsible" on the backs of the poor children of the US?
This is all coming out about SCHIP at the same time Bush is asking for $55 billion more for the war in Iraq. Thank God we got the intel right on that and that we aren't losing millions of dollars to abuse over there to no-bid contracts and crooked military folks who administer money as they see fit with no accountability for the funds they dish out. I don't want to hate Bush, but it is sooo hard not to. I wish it was harder.

1 comment:

Theophilus said...

Amazing insight. I felt the same way when I read about this. I just can't understand how free healthcare for children can be abused, but maybe that's why I sell tools for a living.