Friday, September 14, 2007

St. Benedict



Jodi and I are in a vocational discernment program to help us figure out God's calling in our lives. We are trying to see if God would have us go to seminary to become an Episcopalian Priest. (Turns out Jodi is also feeling a call to either the priesthood or to become a Deacon. That's exciting too.) It is a frustrating and exciting time. We have already met for two weekends, and will meet for six more before the end of the year.

IN many ways I feel like this program is just a hoop to jump through, but when I am thinking clearly and not defensively, I am able to notice how good it is for me. Much of the discernment is helping me to focus on the internals of my life rather than the externals. As many of you know, I have focused on the externals for a LOOOONG time. So it is hard for me to change my patterns of thinking. I'm really learning to notice how I am responding in certain situations and how I need to listen and be still more. It's liberating.

The people in the discernment program are great. I would work with any of them at any time. We went out for drinks last Friday. Well, they each had a drink, and I had a couple. I was thirsty. But we had a great time and we laughed a lot and talked about the future. I think they will all make wonderful Priests or Deacons.

One of the classes is on Benedictine Spirituality. I was nervous it would be boring, but it is actually very interesting. We have a devotional (it's actually called a "rule") that we read each day and then journal about. Turns out I like to journal. The Benedictine Rule has been pretty interesting. Today's rule was about leadership and what Benedict's take was. If you get a chance, pick up a copy of the rule.

I also saw a movie today. It was called "Super Bad". It was funny but very vulgar. I wouldn't have paid to see it if I knew what it would be like. It's more of a rental movie which is too bad. I never go to the movies anymore. I went with my friend Matt. Then we went and got pizza. Jodi is in Florida with the girls. I miss them.

5 comments:

White Rabbit said...

i'm reading a book on how to practice lectio divina, which is commonly practiced in Benedictine monasteries. i think it may become trendy, but i'm really planning on using it even after the "trend" has died.

There is a Benedictine monastery in MI. i found it on the web the other day. i don't know if you're allowed to stay overnight or not. It didn't say on the site, but there are many places where you can. i'd like to try that.

i'm glad to hear you're enjoying the classes.

journey of the discontent said...

the monestary is in niles I think. It's St. gregory's. They have a house you can stay in and bring your family. Thay ask that you make a donation of whatever you can.

We're hoping to go soon.

Anonymous said...

Christian
I spent a couple of days at St. Gregory's with a class I took with Schwanda. It was a wonderful experience and the worship was wonderful. It was truly life changing for me. I also heard one of the worst homilies/sermons that I have ever heard though. It was an Ascension day message about the irrelevance of the debate between liberal and conservative Anglicans as to whether or not Christ really raised physically from the grave.

Anyway, it sounds like you are learning a lot in your discernment precess. That is terrific. Seminary is off to a good start over here on the far western shore. But I am having a hard time discerning where exactly God is leading for my internship as well as what is in store beyond that: still not exactly sure about denominational alliances etc. You are a step ahead of me in having that part all figured out.

How did you not know exactly what kind of movie Superbad would be before you saw it? Did you not see any previews for it?

Peace,
Wayne

journey of the discontent said...

I knew you were at St. Greg's a couple years ago and know you loved it. We are gonna try to go soon.

Glad Western is going well. What will your internship be? Want to do it with me? I need a youth volunteer.

I hadn't seen any commercials for it. i just saw that it had George Michael in it and thought it would be smart like AD. It wasn't. It was mostly sex jokes. it just brought me back to high school.

Anonymous said...

I have to find a "payed internship." If the churches don't/can't pay Western sometimes pays the churches to pay students. If I want to be ordained in the RCA it pretty much has to be at an RCA church because I need at least 27 months under care of classes before I can be ordained in that denomination. The process of placing students here is a mess. I guess it used to work real well before a lot of people started coming here from outside of the area and outside of the denomination. People just used to have a spot lined up when they got here. And many still do. But people like me kinda fall through the cracks and just get stuck somewhere. I filled out an application for the seminary to show churches with my interest. I also met with some people at the school. I said I had a strong preference for liturgical worship in my interview. In my ap I said I would also appreciate working with people of different ethnic or socio-economic backgrounds. But for now it looks like I will be working in in a non-liturgical, very evangelical, mostly white, upper middle class, Church with a young pastor who really likes Rob bell and Mark Driscoll.

Anyway sorry to vent on your blog but anyway that is where that is at. The whole thing is hard. I still am not even sure I want to be ordained RCA.

I do still feel very attracted to worship rooted in the Anglican tradition. We went to the Episcopal church here in Holland since we moved here and we loved the worship. But I was really bothered by the sermon. And I still think the denomination as a whole is going to or has gone to a place I feel uncomfortable with. I have also been thinking for some time now about checking into the ordination process for the AMiA (Anglican Mission in America) a small Anglican denomination that has fellowship with the world wide Anglican Communion through the Church in Rwanda. But I don't know some days I want to say fuck it, forget sem and just join the nearest Catholic or Orthodox Church.

I am so sorry to ramble on on your blog man. And I hope I didn't come off as polemic with my thoughts on TEC. It sounds like it has been great for you guys.

I don't know. Ya know what would be nice to sit and drink a couple of beers with you and talk about it sometime. Anyway
Peace,
Wayne