Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Coffee and Such

When I get my work done, I drink coffee to stay awake. Here are some things I like to do.

1. Read. Right now I'm reading about 6 books for my vocational discernment program. My favorite book is a commentary on the Rule of Benedict. I'm learning a lot about Benedictine Spirituality and about myself.
2. Journal. I also have started journalling for my vocational program. It's good to journal, but I've never been very good at it. I like to blog which is a way to journal, but I don't really like to keep a dear diary. It will probably never be something that I do with any kind of regularity.
3. Movies. I have watched a few good ones lately. Right now I'm watching a documentary on Leonard Cohen. I really need to buy a book of his poetry. It is very beautiful and pretty dark. In the documentary it says that it takes him at least a year to work on a single song. Pretty crazy.
4. I've been lifting weights. Check out my huge arms next time you see me.
5. I also have kind of a routine on the internet. I read a few different blogs, check the hippie Christian BB, read CNN's board, read Sojo, check my fatasy football stuff, and sometimes write a new blog.

But that's about it. Inbetween all of this, I am doing bed checks, doing laundry, starting a meal for the guys for the next day, and fill out my paperwork.

Thanks for reading my blog. Let's get together and have a cup of coffee (or beer) soon.

7 comments:

JomamaJoanna said...

I'm impressed with your overnight blogging abilities. When I'd attempt to do that after 2 in the morning, it would be utter nonsense, although it seemed lyrical and apt at the time. Umm, it was just crazy sounding.
Yes, I joined the blogging land, but I'm not a natural writer. I feel all rusty and nervous.
When can the 7 of us get together for dinner, man? I miss talking with you guys!

White Rabbit said...

Hey i'm reading a book about Benedictine hospitality right now. i found it at a friends house, and she's too steeped in school right now to finish it, so i'm into it. It's called "radical hospitality" and is co-authored by a Monk in a Benedictine order in Oxford MI. Check it out.

i miss you guys.

Anonymous said...

coffee or beer sounds good. I will be brief because I am tired (and because last time I poured my heart out you did not respond to my comment). Anyhoo, I hope all is well.

Here is a link to a site I think you might like to add to your nightly rounds:
http://whatwouldjb.blogspot.com/

Peace,
Wayne

journey of the discontent said...

Joanne- (or do you prefer Jo-jo?)
I wish you worked 3rds over in my neck of the woods. Too bad you are all retired and stuff.

I'm sure your blog will be great. If my blog doesn't "just sound crazy", then we need to hang out more often.

Keith- I wish I had time for another book. Remind me later so I can check it out. Or maybe give me a summary of it. I miss you guys. Can I come hunting in November?

Wayne- I checked out the blog. Interesting. I posted it to the Hippie board because I know it will bother some and I'm all about shock and awe.

Everybody else. I was soooo right about Blackwater. Bigger than Abu Graib.

White Rabbit said...

You can come hunting if you bring two books with you...one by McLaren and one by Boyd. No books, no entrance.

journey of the discontent said...

love keeps no record of books loaned.

White Rabbit said...

Can i borrow some money?