Thursday, October 18, 2007

Never Cry Wolf


Tonight my job sucked. When my job doesn't suck, it is great, but when it sucks, it really sucks. I was trying to meditate and do some of my prayer exercises, but couldn't focus because my mind was racing thinking about traumatic events. So, I watched a movie. "Never Cry Wolf"
I saw this movie when I was boy. Mostly what I remembered was the man eating all the mice and seeing him naked a lot. but I watched the movie tonight as I was trying to relax. It was good. Not a lot of dialogue and some very beautiful cinematography. There wasn't a political overtone (though I could make one) and it wasn't overly emotional. I just enjoyed watching and dreaming about being in the wild. It felt quite healthy. Here are a few observations about the movie.
1. My week was filled with meetings and work. That is OK because it's not always like that, but I feel like I have missed a lot with my girls. So watching a movie that was kind of about breaking free and slipping off the grid entirely was refreshing. There was a line in there about an old Inuit Eskimo (I'm not sure if that is PC). He was following this Eskimo to where the Caribou were and they hiked for 3 days. He mentioned how much more endurance this old man had but how the old man didn't really notice how slow the main character was. He said it was because the Eskimo had no understanding of impatience.
2. The main character was in the arctic studying the wolves. A major theme in the movie was about how he was spending all of his time noticing and watching. he also mentioned how much more in tune with things the wolves were. He said they used all of their senses to notice what was going on but that really all he was using were his eyes and brain. (is the brain a sense?). Anyways, Jodi and I have been trying to live our lives in an attentive and reflective way. Always noticing what is going on and how we respond to those things. I look forward to much more progress in this area.

6 comments:

journey of the discontent said...

There. Now I can meditate.

Christian and Jodi Baron said...

good to see you writing again. It's been a while, love.
Good thoughts. I'm glad you were able to find some peace last night amidst all the turmoil. I love you.

White Rabbit said...

Strange, usually my sucky nights at work there involved dodging punches and not getting to watch the movie. Nice reflection though.

Anonymous said...

Christian,

Just wondering if you watched Law & Order tonight. Its about blackwater. They did not call it that but it's about private contractors and an Iraqi prison. Anyway I know you blogged about that a while back so I just thought I would ask. Usually you can watch the episodes online on NBC's website afterwards if you are interested.

I hope all is well.

~Wayne

journey of the discontent said...

Wayne- No I didn't but I'd like to see it. Did you read the paper today. There are tons of investigations being done on Blackwater and so folks are checking into their taxes. I honestly think that our hometown hero may deserve a hefty prison sentence when this is all said and done. Thanks for poking your nose around here Wayne. I still check your posts. Keep it up.
cb

Jodi said...

Hey, I changed my domain address to jodilynnbaron.blogspot.com. FYI