Thursday, February 15, 2007

Lent


I've been learning more about lent this year. I'm sure I'll learn even more since we are a part of an Episcopal church and since w e plan to attend much of the lenton "to-do" that will go on at St. Andrew.
The past few Lenton seasons I have focused on fasting (actually that's all I really knew that you were "supposed to do"). But I've given up alcohol before and meat and maybe even pop one time. Those things have been good I think. But I've struggled this year to figure out what to fast from. I wonder if I'll get some guidance this week at church or on MOnday at our pot-luck (It's a kick-off to Mrdis Gras I think).
But what am I going to do about charity and prayer?
Charity. Here's kind of a weird stroy/situation that has happened at our house in the past couple days. Our roommate Hilary asnwered the door (because Jodi and I were still sick). A man wanted to know if he could shovel the sidewalk and parking space for money. Hilary came upstairs and asked if I had any money. I told her that I didn't want to pay somebody for work I could do myself. (I also am always skeptical of door-knockers in my neighborhood because I never know what their motives are). So Hilary told the guy she didn't have any money. he said he was going to shovel anyways. After he was done he came to the door and asked for payment. (This is why I'm skeptical). Hilary is wonderful, but I think sometimes not very assertive and I think she was kind of taken advantage of, but that's beside the point. She asked me if it would be safe to write the man a check. I said, "No". But she did and the man went away happy.
The next day he returned (at 10:30 pm) and said he couldn't cash it because of banking problems and wanted cash. My friend Keith pointed out what kind of person goes back to a house of a sidewalk he shoveled at 10:30 pm for $5. In my neighborhood, you can bet it came in the form of crystalized cocaine. But, she wasn't home so I told him he would need to come back later. He came back the next morning and Jodi answered the door and told him he would need to come back later. he came back the next day when I got home from work and wanted the $5. I want to be charitable, but this is rediculous. It really bugs me. i guess it's good lent hasn't started yet.
Prayer. I have never been a guy who prays in a conventional manner. I think about the Kingdom often throughout my day and ussually read something or write something (which I consider prayer) but don't sit down with my "Keys for Kids" or "Our Daily Bread". I just don't work that way. But I need to try to figure soemthing out here for lent to try and make the time special somehow. I'll keep you informed.
By the way. I talked with the priest at our church today to find out about seminary for this fall. He's going to look into it for me which is great. I'd be so stoked if it worked out to go to New York or Chicago. JOnathan if you're reading this, that would be cool if we were both in Chi-town.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Christian - why did you stop leaving sarcastic comments on my blog? It's been weeks! It's hardly even worth posting anymore now!

By the way, I think you should give up being a sarcastic jerk for Lent!

I hope that wasn't too harsh... I gave up being nice for Lent... and I started early.

White Rabbit said...

Hey, had fun haning out the other night. i'll be heading to RI in the wee hours of the morning to see my grandma. Talk to you soon.

Jodi said...

Yeah, lent is kind of funny for me too. I don't fully understand it and am really looking forward to learning more about this ancient tradition of our faith from church. What I'm most familiar with is fasting and holy week. OH, and mardi-gra/fat tuesday. I too, am not much of a "down on my knees" "beating my chest" conversationalist with God...per say. But I do think about Him throughout the day and how he would desire my life to be more holy like himself. I also dedicate myself to his service through my actions and words at mealtimes, and seeking wisdom and patience in regards to raising our daughter...but I'd love to learn more about what prayer even is...I wish I could have the discipline to sit down and read that discipline book by Foster and then the book on Prayer by him. Maybe that's what I'll do for lent...I'll commit to reading as much as I can about the inner/outer disciplines and specifically the disciplines relating to the Lenten season. Anyone interested in reading with me?