Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Heart of Christianity- Marcus Borg

I'm reading this book. I haven't read a book in a while for leisure and this is a good one. It is taking me a while to really dig in, but it is full of really interesting goodies. It really explains how a "more-than-literal" translation of the bible makes sense. It's what I've believed for a while now, but he makes sense of what I believe I guess.

He says that his book should be a bridge between the gap of Fundys and Liberals. That's nice and it makes sense. If only the Fundys could see it that way. I guess I'm skeptical. Jodi on the other hand is reading a book called "Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism". She says it is rocking her to her core. That's good I guess. She has really been reading a lot. If I'm not careful, she is going to be smarter than me very soon. Her book so far has been much more critical of Fundamentalism and has been deconstructing the earlier religious paradigm of the Enlightenment. I can't wait to hear about how he puts things back together.


Oh... I got punched in the face tonight at work. It hurt a moderate amount. I was pretty juiced up before and even more-so after. Who would think that 252 could move so fast? Trying to figure out how to live as a pacifist when I have to use physical force to solve problems at work. Throw up a prayer for me to be an agent of grace in a dark place.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

I hate it that you got hit last night. I hate it even more that you have to go back tonight to a potentially volatile situation again. I hope you get some time tonight to search for a new job. I hate it that you are working there. Hate it that you had to explain to our three year old why you have a broken nose and scratches and bite marks!

journey of the discontent said...

I noticed how weird it was to explain papp's owies to Mo. It was preety cute though when she was kissing all of them. Want to go camping with me?