Thursday, July 24, 2008

Bounce Around the Room


I'm listening to this right now. It's been a while since I have. I remember when Dave Vogelaar turned me onto Phish for the first time in 1995. This was the album. I was especially in love with "bounce around the room". Thanks Dave.
This is another thing I remember about my friend Dave. I was in a weird time in my life where I was trying to do everything just right. I was and am very insecure. I was in a town, Pella, IA that I didn't really know very many people. I had just converted from Preppy/jock to alt rock/hippie/stoner and was trying to fit in with about all those groups. Dave was just a good guy. Very hospitable and enjoyable. He was driving me around in his Mercury and I was smoking. I'm not sure if he was. He had put on some good music. We were talking about the town of Pella and he was describing something. I made a comment like this: "Oh, is that the nice part of Pella or the crappy 'poor' part of Pella?". I was describing where Dave's parents' house was and where he was raised. It was such an DB thing to say. I don't think I really even felt like that about different parts of Pella, but thought for some reason Dave was from the "nice part of town". Dave was understandably hurt and defensive. He probably soon forgot about it but I never have.
I thank Dave for showing me the mirror and being one of my first examples of how to be hospitable.

7 comments:

Jodi said...

A friend introduced me to Phish with the same album, same song, same year. I wasn't doing anything illegal though.
I love you.

Catarina Wanderlust said...

Same song, same album, different year. (98?) I think 95% of everyone's first Phish song was Bouncin'. It's a fact, although I have no data to support it.

I had a friend in HS who said, as we got out of her brand-new car and walked towards my very old house, "This is your house? It looks like a cardboard box." I'm sure she doesn't remember that, but I do. I've never really considered that maybe she didn't mean to say it and has felt like a jerk since then. So, thanks for this. I'm letting that memory go.

Allison said...

For me it was a live Susie Greenberg. 1988. Yes, I'm that old.

I named my first VW bus "Fluffhead" a year later in 1989. It was awesome, orange, and all mine. Then I took it on Grateful Dead tour... :)

PS... still thinking about posting more on earlier posts... but maybe I'll just wait until you start rambling about something else controversial. *haha*

Anonymous said...

I was introduced to phish by one Christian Baron. But the song was prince Caspian. You put it on the juke-box at Founders

journey of the discontent said...

Jodi- it seems as though we have lived parallel lives. Before Phish were you mostly into Air Supply and Rod Stewart? They rock!

Cat- For me the Phish portal opened rather slowly. That album has a lot of instrumentals on it and I mostly didn't get it. But Bouncin turned my crank.

Sorry your friend said that about your house. High schoolers (well when I was in high school) often say things that aren't meant to be hurtful, but really are. Then the person who is offended learns to bury it so they don't ruin their chances of moving up a peg on the cool-kid board. It's quite a system we have worked out.

Allison- We are trading our Bus/transporter for Doula duty. It will work out well I think. I apprciate "Fluffhead". I think Christians need to lead the way in battling the horrible disease don't you?

Wayne- I think Prince Caspian is my favortie Phish song. Or did I already say Boucin was? I just put one of the phish videos on my net flix.

Jodi said...

Sorry about taking them off. It will be fun to watch some shows we were at together, before we knew each other. I had the Agent's voice playing as I read the beginning of your comment to me. The agent from Matrix!

journey of the discontent said...

agent smith: It seems as though you have been leading two lives. One as a computer programmer and one as a hacker named "Neo".