Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Some New Music in 2006



I have found out about soem cool bands this year and wanted to pay homage to the bands and to those who turned me on.

Mark Kozelek/ Sun Kil Moon/Red House Painters -- Jonanthan turned me on to this band and later I saw him in Ann Arbor. He was great, but he yelled at a guy for talking during the concert. It was odd. Very quiet. My friend Sid got turned on too and we went to the show together. The first time I heard them on CD, we went to Jonathans' girlfriend at the time, Justine's Cottage. Jonathan and luke and i played beer-pong late into the night. Thanks for the referal.

Iron and Wine- I think I heard I+W before, but maybe not. Again Jonathan turned me on. My friend Sid is also a big fan and we have swapped CD's before. I think Wayne is a big fan too but we have never listened or discussed together.

Wilco- Donald Miller mentioned them in one of his books, but then I saw them at Farm Aid a couple summers ago. But then Jonathan gave me a couple CD's and I really got excited.

Grateful Dead- I had never heard of this band before this year, but heard them on the radio. They seem really interesting and I think I'd like to go see them. I hope they are touring this summer and I think I'll drive and go see them. I heard the lead singer only has 4 fingers on one of his hands and that there is some ice-cream named after him. They sound like a heavy metal band, but they aren't.

Sandi Patty- This music blew me away. She is really talented and uses the gift that the Lord gave her to praise His name. I love to sit in my apartment and crank her up to "11" and lay face down on the ground and cry and laugh and sing. If I ever get to see her live, I'll pay whatever it costs. I wonder if she tours with the Grateful Dead?

4 comments:

White Rabbit said...

i heard the Dead are coming to the Van Andel. Let's go see them together. Then i too can be a "hippi"

journey of the discontent said...

seriously? the grateful dead are coming to the van andel? are they opening for somebody? I'll buy a ticket? anybody have one? I'll pay top dollar.

journey of the discontent said...

really though keith... Dark Star orchestra (a dead tribute band0 will be in GR on Jan. 30. want to go with me and my friend Jay? It's like $10. Return some of your kids gifts and you can pay for the ticket and for a beer.

Jodi said...

Sounds like Jonathan and Sid should meet. Too bad Sid's already married and Jon is on his way to Uganda!