Tuesday, June 26, 2007

W's "Pro-life Policies


This is an article by Obery Hendericks. He writes for Sojourners from time to time. I figure it's time to get back on the horse and start bashing Republicans and silly Christians again. Here is the article in it's entirety. http://blog.beliefnet.com/godspolitics/2007/06/obery-hendricks-the-height-of.html

Obery Hendricks: The Height of Hypocrisy
This week President George W. Bush ceremoniously vetoed a measure promoting embryonic stem cell research that could help to relieve the suffering of millions, declaring that the bill disregards the sanctity of human life. "I will not allow our nation to cross this moral line," Bush said.
It is hard to believe that this pronouncement could come from the mouth of a man who has shown a frightening disdain for the sanctity of human life for the entirety of his career in elective office. Here are a few of the examples of George W. Bush's lack of respect for human life that I document in my book, The Politics of Jesus.
While governor of Texas:
· Bush signed more death warrants than any governor in the history of this nation, at times mocking those he condemned to death, according to conservative commentator Tucker Carlson; at the same time, he was vetoing legislation that would have guaranteed effective counsel to those accused of capital crimes, even though the lawyers of the Texas Defender Service denounced the Texas courts as "a thoroughly flawed system."
· Bush actively fought against a program passed by the Texas legislature to provide medical coverage to the 500,000 poor children in the state who lacked it. After five years of his active opposition, Bush succeeded in reducing the number of children covered by the program by half, despite his certain knowledge that his actions would result in death and terrible suffering for an unknown number of innocents. All this while he fought for a $2 billion tax cut for Texas' richest families and a $45 million cut for the oil and gas industry, with this explanation: "These are tough times for the oil and gas industry."
As president:
· Moments before he was to appear on national television to announce his declaration of war on Iraq, Bush was caught on tape pumping his fist as at a sporting event, declaring, "Feels good," in what the journalist Paul Waldman called "a glimpse of the president's vulgar callousness."
· He not only sent thousands of Americans to their deaths based on lies and knowing deception, he was caught on tape laughing about it at the 2004 gala of the Radio and Television Correspondents' Association, in a skit in which he looked under furniture and behind curtains and joked, "Nope, no weapons [of mass destruction] over there… maybe under here?"
· On national television, in the hearing of children, he has openly and gratuitously vowed not to neutralize or capture individuals he calls by name, but to kill them.
· He publicly gloated over the killing of Saddam Hussein's sons and, in a particularly macabre moment, allowed their mutilated bodies to be put on public display.
There is little question that Bush has exhibited less respect for human life than any president in memory, including Richard Nixon. But what is more troubling, if that is possible, is Bush's apparent sense that he can deceive the American people with impunity, as if we will believe that he cares about human life simply because he says so, no matter that his every significant policy decision shows that to be a lie.
What is more troubling still, however, is that thus far he has been right—at least with regard to a sizable number of Americans. As long as Bush cries crocodile tears for the unborn—and now the unformed—too many Americans will fail to hold him responsible for his reprehensible disdain for the suffering of innocent children, women and men throughout the earth. And he will continue to make moral pronouncements to mask his immoral policies.
Obery Hendricks is past president of Payne Theological Seminary, an ordained elder in the African Methodist Episcopal Church, and the author of The Politics of Jesus: Rediscovering the True Revolutionary Nature of Jesus' Teachings and How They Have Been Corrupted.


I've recently (in the past 4 years) come to a different understanding of the term "pro-life". The word is so loaded anyways, but I find it strange the people who use it as their battle cry. These folks often have the "I support our troops" stickers or the "W" sticker. Or you hear them talking about justice for the murderer or sex offender. It's just so strange that these folks don't really value life like I do. They value life when it is convenient. When it suits their purposes and agendas.

I don't know much about stem cell research, but I know which side I'm "supposed" to be on as a Christian. I guess I that since I'm not really sure though, that I'll rebel and react to what the right is trying to persuade me to think. This is definitely a flaw of mine, but it has worked out pretty well.

15 comments:

White Rabbit said...

i read this the other day as well and he makes a really good point. Yet this is how most Christians think as well. Pro-life means only that you care about the sanctity of life within the womb. Once born, it's o.k. to abandon, starve, abuse, neglect, and sign off as "collateral damage."

i'm all for putting an end to abortion, but i don't think passing laws is going to help make that happen the way i'd like. We need to deal with the cause, not just the symptoms.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Nothing but Fascists on the right and a bunch of commies on the left.

I am kidding but I have been developing a progressively lower and lower appreciation for politics in general.

Anyway, its seems its always been that way as long as I have known. The left is taditionally "pro choice" while against the death penalty and the right is "pro-life" when it comes to issues involving the unborn but not when it comes to those covicted of crimes.

It seems this is due in large part to two different understandings of life. The left tends to qualify life as a free, thinking, feeling individual able to make rational choices (and subsequently tend to speak more frequently of different "qualities of life"). While the right tends to think of life more in moral categories so a fetus is not only better than a criminal or an enemy but half the time - especially with the religious right - the fetus is better than you or me by virtue of the fact it has yet been sullied by sin.

I find both understandings leave something to be desired. So while I kid about fascists and commies, this is one of the reasons that I am really starting to appreciate the political separatism of the Anabaptist. The kingdoms of this world will always be operating with different understandings of choice, freedom and life (just to name a few things) than the citizens of the kingdom of heaven are called to operate with.

Perhaps we should spend more time with the mother considering abortion and the prisoner than we should contributing to the political machine.

Jay said...

The issue of abortion spins the minds of the masses with momemtum serving only to distract our energy from arriving at periodic resolutions for our community. But, of course, you have to have a community first.

journey of the discontent said...

Keith- right on. How's the job going. We need to "hook up" for a beer and good conversation.

Wayne "Perhaps we should spend more time with the mother considering abortion and the prisoner than we should contributing to the political machine."
Right on. I think I'd like to do both. We also need to get together to taste some delicious beer.

Frank- What do you mean?

Jodi said...

I think Frank was saying...the "issues" are bandaids to avoid having to really DO anything about them.
I just got done reading this..while a few paragraphs I felt were "oh, come on..." for the most part it just confirmed more so that Bush needs to go!
I believe the views of anyone only holding certain beings as worth living to be flawed and incomplete to say the least.
I think God is pretty clear that all living things are a part of his covenant, whether they deserve it or not (b/c none of us deserve it, right?).
thanks for sharing this article and your thoughts.
Love you.

Anonymous said...

Christian,
Did you get my messages? I tried to call you yesterday and today. I got your message on the bulletin Board but wasn't sure how to send one back. I figured it out now but I am not on there much so I thought I would just use this. Word press has a built in gadget that shows me any incoming links to my site on the web and how many hits I get from them. That is how I knew.

Anyway, we be be in Wheaton all weekend for a wedding I am in. I hope that next week sometime we could get together. I am working on a new Driscoll post. In the mean time here is something for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIrIKbCz3n4

Hippie Christian said...

Keep praying for our leaders...

Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence.
(1 Timothy 2:1-2)

...and that we would have an informed electorate not motivated by single issue politics.

In the words of Pete Townshend of The Who...

"Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again"

Oscar said...

ever think about the meaning behind the symbols of the republican and democrat parties? Republicans have the elephant, which in cartoons like Tom and Jerry is always portrayed as timid and scared of the littlest things like a mouse. Pretty accurate description there. And the democrats have a jackass, which is pretty self-explanatory...

journey of the discontent said...

Jodi- You are right. W must go.

Wayne- I'll have to check out Driscols youtube when I get home.

Kevin- I will continue to pray. I also need to figure out a way to educate myself as well as those who need help within my circle of influence. I wonder how I can help register my neighbors to vote.

Oscar- Interesting take on the mascots. I'll be voting jackass next year because I think they care about the things I do more than the elephants.

Steve said...

I finally got the chance to read this whole article.

Normally I'd jump at the chance to mock the Dub, but in this case I really don't like this article. Some of the points the author is making just seem like a stretch. I mean, since when does pumping your fist at a sporting event mean you don't care for human life? Also, when he was laughing at the skit it seems more like he was showing he can laugh at himself and not so much like he was openly laughing about sending troops to their deaths.

I'm not saying I fully support Bush's decisions, but I do think this author has taken some things too far.

As for your conclusion, though, I'm right there with you. I think that as Christians, too often we've been told what party to pick and where to stand on certain issues without thinking about them for ourselves. We need to seek out information to make good decisions and too often we've failed to do that.

Thanks for pointing out our need to think.

White Rabbit said...

When do you guys want to come spend the weekend in Baldwin? Should we camp?

Jodi said...

Keith, did you know our van has gone to meet its maker? so sad, we took it on its final voyage last week and it died the next day after getting home:( If we do any more camping...EVER again...it'll have to be tent once more...so sad!

White Rabbit said...

It's o.k. because a tent is all i do. i happen to have an extra 6 person tent you can use too.

i'm sorry to hear about your van though. i'll say a prayer so that it will be released from purgatory a bit sooner.

Christian and Jodi Baron said...

thanks keith, what happened to your blog? I know it's been awhile but....I couldn't find it.